Sunday, April 18, 2010

Not fit for man nor beast

On one particularly frigid day in February, Karen and I were feeding and setting traps when I commented to one of the homeless people, Lisa, about how cold it was. She replied, "Yea, it's not fit for man nor beast out here." We didn't catch any cats that day, and we returned to the warmth and comfort of our homes. The next day, I contacted my friend Jenny, who had organized a fundraiser with her co-worker, Jess, to benefit the homeless. The money was given to Westside Cares to distribute as needed. When I contacted Steve at Westside Cares he graciously agreed to negotiate with Sun Springs Motel so "our guys" would have a place to stay on extremely cold nights. (Sun Springs is a short walk from the Nevada Ave bridge and a friendly oasis for the homeless.) Steve printed room vouchers and we headed under the bridge with hamburgers, hot chocolate, room vouchers and cat food.
When we got there, there was a flurry of activity. Someone had been particularly successful at panhandling that day and returned to the camp with enough vodka and beer for all.

I had a prepared speech, to go along with the room vouchers, but I soon realized it would be like 'spitting in the wind'. As Karen fed the cats and passed out hamburgers, I waded through the tall grass, tripping over drunk bodies, trying to find someone coherent enough to understand the room voucher. We passed out 5 vouchers and a bus pass that day. We also learned about 'bridge etiquette' that day.

2 comments:

  1. My husband and I often wondered what will come of the homeless that camp along the creek in many areas of the Springs (since there was legislation passed for them to move). I am glad there are some options, vouchers, etc. (And people who care enough to reach out and talk with them - sometimes I bet that's all that you can do. There is probably a need for so much more.) Where are you planning on taking the cats?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kristy,
    There are some options but not nearly enough...there are so many factors ie unemployment, alchoholism, drug use, it's a vicious cycle for sure. As far as the cats...Barb has set up a "feral colony" at her house. They live in a protected area outside. Cats have all been spayed and nuetered and are safe,fed, and warm at their new cat home. Karen

    ReplyDelete